On LinkedIn a big a network is important. Your network is a reflection of your personal brand. How to grow your network in a way that it reflects your personal brand?
This is my plan. Feel free to use it as a template for yours.
My personal brand
I’m an honest, transparent, confronting, caring, capable, learning, and knowledgeable grower of agile software teams. Life is short, so:
- grow high quality software,
- grow high quality teams,
- grow high quality relations.
I’d like my network to reflect this.
There are many reasons why big network helps. One goal can be to reach a larger audience. Let’s run the following experiment:
When I grow my LinkedIn network to 500+ connections, my next availability update in late September will reach 1000 views.
At the time of writing, my network has 357 connections. My August status update got 538 views. I should be able to grow my network to 500 connections in two weeks. Then I’ll post a similar status update and see how many views it receives in two weeks.
I want to get to 500 AND build a quality network.
These are my principals for building a quality network:
- The best connections are those where there is mutual benefit in building a relationship, connections are two-way.
- Be kind, genuine and sincere.
- Aim for the long run, not the short-term win.
These are the actions I will take:
- Update my profile
- Find people to connect to, first I will look in the agile community
- Join some more groups
- Do some networking on LinkedIn everyday
- Personalize my connection requests
What will you do?
You could start by sending me a personalized connection request on LinkedIn!